The Dark Room

Saturday 12 November 2011

Gull ringing at Rainham Marshes

Firstly I would like to thank Paul Roper and the North Thames Gull group for a fantastic day spent at Rainham Marshes landfill site, where I was able to take part in ringing gulls. Once Paul went through health and safety, I was able to see the experienced ringers go about there work. Before we even started I noticed a group of Swans going West, which turned out to be 8 Whopper Swans a great start for the day. Also a 1w Caspian Gull put in a brief appearance too. It was great handling and seeing the gulls close, from start to finish it was fun, educational and gave a real insight to gull ringing and something I would like to carry on doing in the future.


The nets laid out and ready to go


A Lesser Black backed gull leaving its mark on my arm


Yellow legged gull

While the others went back, Paul boy, David Callahan and myself waited for our lift back and it was a real stroke of luck as we watched six Yellow legged gulls and a cracking Adult Mediterranean Gull all feed on the fresh rubbish which had just been dumped. While the lorries were moving back and forth the gulls would move out of the way but the Med Gull would always return to the same spot.





Yellow legged Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment